Alateen is for young people whose lives have been affected by someone else’s drinking/drug abuse.
The following 20 questions are to help you decide whether Alateen is for you.
1. Do you have a parent, close friend or relative whose drinking or drug using upsets you?
2. Do you cover up your real feelings by pretending that you don’t care?
3. Are holidays and gatherings spoiled because of drinking or drug use?
4. Do you tell lies to cover up for someone else’s drinking/drug use or what’s happening in your home?
5. Do you stay out of the house as much as possible because you hate it there?
7. Are you afraid to upset someone or fear it will set off a drinking/drug using bout?
8. Do you feel nobody really loves you or cares what happens to you?
9. Are you afraid or embarrassed to bring your friends home?
10.Do you think the drinker/drug user’s behavior is caused by you, other members of your family, friends, or rotten breaks in life?
11.Do you make threats such as, “If you don’t stop drinking/using, fighting, I’ll run away?”
12.Do you make promises about behavior, such as, “I’ll get better school marks, go to church or keep my room clean” in exchange for a promise that the fighting and drinking/drug using will stop?
13.Do you feel that if your mom or dad loved you, he or she would stop drinking/drug using?
14.Do you ever threaten or actually hurt yourself to scare your parents into saying “I’m sorry,” or “I love you?”
15.Do you believe no one could possibly understand how you feel?
16.Do you have money problems because of someone else’s drinking/drug abuse?
17.Are mealtimes frequently delayed because of the drinker/drug abuser?
18.Have you considered calling the police because of the drinker/drug abuser’s abusive behavior?
19.Have you refused dates out of fear or anxiety?
20.Do you think your problems would be solved if the drinking stopped?
21.Do you ever treat people (teachers, schoolmates, teammates, etc.) unjustly because you are angry at someone else for drinking too much or using drugs?
If you answered yes to some of these questions, Alateen may be able to help you. http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/